A flat backed pen case

I refer to this as a standard pen case the design was the first pen case I ever made although I hope I have become a little better at it.

To start I needed a mould to form the components around I do have an old one but I could not find it so I made a new one.


This is made by laminating three pieces of marine plywood together the screws add extra support as the glue dries.

The next step was to cut out the shape to create the pen tube it was followed by lots of sanding.



I then cut some kydex to the required size and heated it to allow it to take the shape.


This mould is extra long previous moulds have been extended to make longer cases so I now make moulds to suit longer pens.

I made three pen tubes just in case I made an error as it happened all three were fine.


Once the kydex was trimmed to the required size I wrapped it in turquoise suede.


The inside of the pen tube is as nice as the outside.


Now the pen tube is finished I turned my attention to the outside I cut some 1.8 mm shoulder leather and assembled the components.


I started to form the freshly dyed leather around the mould with the kydex pen tube in place protected by some black plastic.


During the forming process a wooden tool is used to achieve the desired shape as the leather is worked in this way it starts to burnish and take on a shine rather than leave parts burnished and parts not. I burnished the rest of the outer cover. I also realised that I had cut the back panel to narrow, not allowing for the thickness of the outer cover. I cut and dyed a replacement rear panel.


Pen tube with its outer cover of black leather


All of the components glued together



This case is ready for stitching which involves marking the final shape marking out and punching the stitching holes. Before the final cutting of the edges.

When I said ready for stitching I meant ready to start the process of stitching. The first step is to mark out lightly where the stitching will go I use a pricking iron to lightly mark the lines along with a pair of dividers. Once that was done I hit the pricking iron with a maul.


One piece of Lin Cable thread with a needle on each end the thread is waxed but I added extra bees wax to the thread around the needles it helps to get the thread through the holes.


I had cut a securing strap marked and punched stitching holes I would suggest care be taken when adding items like this. I stitched one side and counted the holes to get the same position on the other side.

I am not sure where I went wrong but the strap was not straight and yes I had finished the stitching before I realised it was not straight so I spent an hour carefully pulling out the stitching.


Finally stitching is finished and the strap is straight I have trimmed the edges and started the shaping.


The flap is a very tight fit but I am sure it will loosen after a year or twos use.

For comparison here is my first single pen case I still have it somewhere from the 4th November 2014. I think there has been some improvement.


The final job is as usual to finish the edges smooth and shinny.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s